CERTIFICATE PROGRAM FOR THE SEIZURE AND EPILEPSY HEALTHCARE PROFESSIONAL
AN ASSESSMENT-BASED CERTIFICATE PROGRAM
The Certificate Program for the Seizure and Epilepsy Healthcare Professional is an assessment-based certificate program that uses instructional design principles to deliver an online self-study educational course followed by a post-assessment. This course will equip you with the tools you need to safely care for patients with seizures and epilepsy, while providing the type of quality care demanded by your institution. Participants will earn CE contact hours and an American Board of Neuroscience Nursing (ABNN) certificate of added qualification that indicates attainment of knowledge upon successful completion of the course.
The primary purpose of this certificate program is to provide foundational knowledge to provide evidence based care to patients who have seizures and epilepsy, who are admitted to an Epilepsy Monitoring Unit and who are being evaluated for and/or undergoing surgery for medically refractory epilepsy. There are six online modules, presented sequentially, to be completed to earn the certificate. Two additional modules provide information on a nurse’s role in a Comprehensive Epilepsy Specialty Clinic and an Epilepsy Monitoring Unit (EMU). The completion of these two additional modules will enhance the professional’s and facility’s ability to care for patients admitted to a comprehensive epilepsy center or EMU and will meet the National Association of Epilepsy Centers (NAEC) accreditation requirements for nursing expertise in epilepsy.
Seizure and Epilepsy Healthcare Professional (6 modules)
(for professionals in non-NAEC accredited centers)
(for professionals in NAEC accredited centers)
|Content||• Module I—Anatomy, Physiology, and Etiology of Epilepsy
• Module II—Seizures
• Module III—Diagnosis and Assessment
• Module IV—Treatment
• Module V—Education and Self-Management
• Module VI—Special Populations with Epilepsy
|The original six modules plus two additional modules:
• Module VII—Nursing Care in the Epilepsy Specialty
• Module VIII—Nursing Care in the EMU
(not limited only to nurses)
| Healthcare professionals who:
• Work with seizure/epilepsy patients but
are not in an NAEC accredited center
• Do not work with seizure/epilepsy patients but are
interested in furthering their knowledge on the topic
|Healthcare professionals who:
• Work in an NAEC accredited center. This will fulfill the
NAEC accreditation requirement of nursing education.
• Do not work in an NAEC center but are considering
moving to one OR their hospital is in pursuit of
|Post-Assessment||50 Questions||70 Questions|
|CE Contact Hours||Participants can earn 6 CE contact hours and 1.25 pharmacology hours by completing the course and passing the post-assessment with a score of >80% or higher.||Participants can earn 11 CE contact hours and 2.25 pharmacology hours by completing the course and passing the post-assessment with a score of >80% or higher.|
AANN members: $250
For Institutional Pricing/Discounts, please see information
AANN members: $300
For Institutional Pricing/Discounts, please see information
|Renewal||3 years||3 years|
Purchase the 6 Module Program(for professionals in non-NAEC accredited centers)
Purchase the 8 Module Program(for professionals in NAEC accredited centers)
Candidate Handbook/Course Outline
A detailed course outline is available in the handbook. Participants will have access to the modules, course, and post-assessment for 6 months. There is no time limit to complete a module. You may navigate forward and backward through the courses to review content. PowerPoint slides are available for download once purchased.
A “knowledge check” will be included at the end of each module to evaluate whether the learning objectives for the course have been met. A final post-assessment test also will be available once all modules have been completed. The test questions are multiple-choice, single answer. Participants must pass the post-assessment with an average score of > 80%. If the participant does not pass, they can rewatch the modules, and go back to review materials before taking the test again. Participants will have three chances to successfully pass the post-assessment.
Certificate of Added Qualification and CE
Participants who complete the first 6 modules will receive a certificate of added qualification as a Seizure and Epilepsy Healthcare Professional and will earn 6 CE contact hours. Participants who complete the first 6 modules AND the 2 additional NAEC unit modules and pass all assessments will earn a certificate of added qualification as a Seizure and Epilepsy Healthcare Professional in a Comprehensive Epilepsy Center and will earn 11 CE contact hours. Participants will also receive a certificate of completion.
The Certificate for the Seizure and Epilepsy Healthcare Professional must be renewed every 3 years to ensure that epilepsy knowledge stays current. The renewal course, which will be available in June of the participant’s third year, will be offered on demand followed by post-assessments. Participants must complete the renewal course by December 31 of the third year. AANN and ABNN will provide reminder information in the middle of the year that the candidate is due to renew; however, it is ultimately the responsibility of the candidate to complete the renewal process.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Still have questions on the Seizure and Epilepsy Certificate Program? Read our FAQ document below to address some of your questions or concerns.
A Message to Hospital Administrators
Support for the Certificate Program for the Seizure and Epilepsy Healthcare Professional reveals your dedication to the highest standards of care and excellence in clinical practice. Completing this certificate program testifies to the outstanding caliber of your healthcare providers and thereby makes your institution more attractive to prospective healthcare employees.
Hospital administrators can demonstrate support for the Certificate Program for the Seizure and Epilepsy Healthcare Professional by
• promoting current certificate recipients through public recognition of their achievement
and ongoing support of their continuing education
• challenging and inspiring staff to participate in the certificate program
• providing financial and career development incentives to those who demonstrate commitment
to their patients and profession through professional development in the certificate program.
These actions will have a positive impact on staff performance and satisfaction while encouraging better outcomes for patients.
As an employer or hospital administrator, you benefit from
- Knowing the certificate holder is committed to continuous professional development
- Better-qualified individuals for employment or advancement
- Ability to match workplace needs with current, relevant training
- Justification for potential compensation differential
The Value of the Certificate Program
Certificate holders benefit from:
- Learning from a focused course of instruction
- Acquisition of new skills
- Opportunity to learn new content or skills specifically tied to workplace needs
- Recognition of accomplishment for demonstrating desired educational outcomes
- Increased recognition by peers and respect of colleagues in the profession
- Improved opportunities for employability and advancement
- Greater confidence in their professional competence
- Increased professional trust from employers or the public
- Increased autonomy in the workplace
- Potential for higher compensation and greater career longevity
Support your nurses in completing a certificate program. Institutions are eligible for a discount when they purchase 10 or more subscriptions to the Seizure/Epilepsy Certificate Program. All group purchasing prices are based off of the member rate of $250.00 for the Core 6 modules and $300.00 for the 8-module program. Contact email@example.com to learn more and get started.
|Number of Subscriptions||% Discount||Price per participant (6 module course)||Price per participant (8 module course)|
|10-20||10% off member price||$225.00||$270.00|
|21-49||20% off member price||$200.00||$240.00|
|50+||40% off member price||$150.00||$180.00|
Learn more about the Epilepsy Certificate Program and our special institutional discount
Fill out the form below and we'll reach out to answer any questions you may have.
- Fill out the form above or contact AANN Member Services at firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of your institution and the number of programs you would like to purchase. AANN will create a custom invoice for you. All group purchasing prices are based off the member rate of $250.00 for the Core 6 modules and $300.00 for the 8-module program.
- Once your institution receives the discount code, share it with your participants and instruct them to log in to or create an account on AANN.org. Program participants will enter your institution's discount code during the check out process, which will allow them to "purchase" the certificate program at no cost to them. Participants will receive a purchase confirmation email that includes the access link to the AANN's learning management system.
- We'll notify you when all assigned participants have used the discount code. A list of participants can be requested for your records.